Madison is a beautiful historic town on the Ohio River located within a short drive of Louisville, Indianapolis, and Cincinnati.
- “The Most Beautiful River town in America” Charles Kuralt
- Best Preserved Town … 1997 Chicago Tribune!
- Prettiest Small Town … 1998 Ladies Home Journal
- Midwest Living Magazine’s #4 pick for 100 Top Towns to visit.
Voted one the 12 best places to visit in America 2001!
- The Largest National Historic Landmark District in America
Settled in 1809, Madison was a major river port and supply town outfitting pioneers moving into the Northwest Territory. The Steamboat Era and construction of roads and rails into central Indiana brought wealth and influence. As railroads flourished and expanded, and Madison slipped into a century of slumber. Madison’s tradition of a fine building created an architectural legacy that spawned a preservation movement in the 1960s and continues to evoke admiration for this significant historic community. Downtown Madison is Indiana’s largest historic district, containing over 1000 19th century structures and two National Historic Landmarks.